Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Eve

Twas the morning before Christmas...(we at the Edward's household do not wait til night to start the celebrations) ...and it was noisier than anything at the traditional Bluegrass Ward Christmas Eve Bowling Party!



By our crazed expressions, or maybe just mine, you can almost hear the chant:

"We've got Christmas spirit, we've got Christmas spirit...How about you?!"

...or see that we are coming down with bowling fever.


The latter appeared to be true, at least for Jared, who burned it up on the lanes. I believe he achieved the highest score of the whole ward with 178. Bekah, a 6yr old that was bowling in my lane had a higher score than me but I did beat Andrew the 3yr old...barely.


If you look closely at row E and in the first column you can see my one strike of the day :)


Then we went home to finish one last present for Lil A. We were refurbishing a super saucer that had been given to us by Jared's sister whose 4 children had previously used. Later, I found out that it had been a used item when given to her.


We cleaned it up...


sanded it... (which ended up being a mistake I think)
primed it...

(good thing it was warm that day and although it appears Jared is doing all the work, I too helped but someone has to document the transformation).

painted the top pink... (with Krylon Plastic Spray Paint)


the base brown...So, I asked Jared to take a picture of me painting the base to prove that I helped. It so happens that a brown can of spray paint is different from a pink can even though they were the same brand/product. As I went to spray paint the base with expert zeal and flourish, I sprayed the paint directly into my eye.

Jared's immediate response was to laugh. He then asked with concern if I was okay and then laughs again and then repeats the previous question.

I immediately drop the can, put my hands to my face and then realize my eye is only stinging a little. I too laugh with relief. Then I sober up and go running for the house calling to Jared "I think I'm okay but I read a book once where someone went blind spraying paint into their eye."

I rinsed my eye with water, it still stinged but I could see out of it...at least I thought so, even though I was surprised not to see brown paint all over my face. (Jared says I didn't spray enough for that to happen.) When Jared sees I'm fine, he comments that I'm probably the only person in the world who will reference a book they have read while running for the house to rinse a toxic product from their eyes. Hmmm...maybe.

But I digress...

The finished product...

(except I'm still sewing a cover for the seat which has been fraught with less peril than painting).


Isn't it very cute?! While we were waiting for the paint to dry we made cookies and other goodies for our Christmas Eve party at the Carlton's.

We all had soooo much fun that night... as Aurora can attest to in the following clip. We also had tons of great food!


The girls: Alyssa, me, Tammy and Sarah

The Carlton's have a tradition of playing Christmas Pictionary. Jared may have rocked the bowling alley but I was Pictionary queen. This will have to be one of our traditions too.


I didn't want to be too boastful, so here is a clip of Alyssa calling out the correct answer first to Erik and Andrew's drawing.


Later, Alyssa, Jared and I play a speed game of settlers while the kids got baths before we watched "Mickey's Christmas Carol." We seriously played the game in 15 minutes with Jared winning.



After the movie, scripture, song & prayer and the children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of sugar plums danced in their heads; the adults played a "super-massive" settlers game where we combined two boards together. I won this game.


After a jolly good time with friends which after all is the family one chooses for yourself...we went home and put all the presents under the tree and hung our stockings by the chimney with care...

and settled down for a long winter's nap... where not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse or cat... in hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas! That saucer is darling, I would never have that of redoing something like that. Makes me want to redo mine seeing how its blue. I laughed at your book reference I am always being accused of saying "I think I read it somewhere", don't worry you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete